Friday 6 January 2012

Day Five - Poppin Umbrella

Good Lordy, but I do love a musical!

What is it about people standing on a stage, bursting into song and dance that so entices and enthralls?

I first saw "Mary Poppins"in New York in 2007. It was my second choice as I couldn't get in to see "Bride of Frankenstein" (which at the time was starring the fabulous Megan Mulally from Will & Grace).

I thought it would be a nice way to spend an afternoon - instead I was enchanted.


I vaguely remembered the story from my childhood, which was quite a long time ago, but it all came thundering back with each song.

Yes, some of the themes are a bit old hat now - the "Holy Terror" nanny, Mrs Banks having to know "all the right people" and giving up her career - but at the heart of it, is a story about family.

So, with parrot-handled umbrella in hand, I'll be spending most of the day singing "Spoonful of Sugar" and "Supercalifragilisticexpealidocious".

Spit-spot!





No comments:

Post a Comment